Pet travel from the U.S. to the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland)


USDA Accredited Veterinarian Signature Original Ink
APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer Signature Original Ink

Details: Health certificates require original ink signatures from the issuing USDA Accredited Veterinarian and the endorsing APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer with the application of the APHIS embossed seal. Submissions through the online Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS) cannot be accepted at this time.

View a list of European Union Countries

The following information applies to the United Kingdom.

Do you have an EU Pet Passport?

  • YES —  I have and EU Pet Passport —  You do not need to meet the following requirements because of your EU Pet Passport.
  • NO — I do NOT have an EU Pet Passport — Follow the requirements listed in steps 1-5 below.
  • After your veterinarian has issued the EU Health Certificate, have your completed paperwork endorsed by your local APHIS Veterinary Services office.
  • Your local APHIS Veterinary Services office will be able to provide specific information about the process and fees associated with endorsement of the EU Health Certificate.
  • Endorsement Fees

NOTICE:  The United Kingdom has specific requirements based on the type of pet you are traveling with. To get the appropriate Health Certificate, read requirements 1-6 listed above and choose the option that applies to you.

My Pet Travel…

Please note: The EU health certificate is valid for travel within the EU for up to 4 months from the date it is issued by the USDA Accredited Veterinarian as long as the rabies vaccine documented on it does not expire. After entering the EU, dogs subsequently traveling to the United Kingdom, Ireland, Finland, Malta, or Norway will need to be treated for tapeworms by an EU veterinarian within 1-5 days before entering those countries. The EU veterinarian will add the tapeworm treatment information to the EU health certificate issued in the United States. It is your responsibility to ensure your pet meets the import requirements of each country you visit.

Please make sure you read all requirements for taking your bird(s) to the United Kingdom (UK).

  • Pet bird(s) must have an identification number such as a clip, leg band, microchip (transponder), or tag.
  • Your pet bird may have to undergo isolation and/or testing for Avian Influenza before it can travel to the UK.
  • Please note that statements #3 and #4.3 in the health certificate contain an “either/ or” component. The option you choose in statement #3 should match the option you pick in statement #4.3. Only one (1) option under each statement section should be chosen. (The Accredited Veterinarian issuing the health certificate must line-out and initial the statements that do not apply).

This means the USDA Accredited Veterinarian you are working with has agreed to supervise your bird’s 30 day quarantine in your home.

Pet Birds in the U.S. are not vaccinated for Avian Influenza. This option should be lined-out for all U.S. origin pet birds

This means your pet bird must be isolated (kept away) from other birds for at least 10 days prior to leaving the U.S. and tested for Avian Influenza H5 and H7 with either a RT-PCR or virus isolation test on both a cloacal and an oropharyngeal swab at least 3 days after the 10 day isolation starts.

This means that you have made arrangements for your pet bird to be quarantined in an approved facility in the EU once your pet bird arrives in the EU. This option is not available in all EU countries.

Once your pet bird has met all the entry requirements of the UK, your pet bird will be eligible to travel to the UK. A USDA Accredited Veterinarian must exam your bird and issue the below health certificate within 48 hours of travel or the last working day prior to the date of departure to the EU. APHIS endorsement of the health certificate is required after it has been issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian.

International Health Certificate

Do you plan to bring your birds back to the US after your visit to the EU?

View requirements for pet birds returning to the U.S.

For pet travel requirements not listed, APHIS has not been officially informed by the foreign country about the requirements for your pet’s travel. We recommended that you contact a government official of the country you are traveling to for more information.

Country of destination contact information:

Considerations for airline travel:

Airlines may have separate and additional requirements. Check with your airline to determine what requirements they may have, if any.

Additional information for pet owners, airlines, and others about APHIS endorsement of international health certificates.