Last Modified: July 30, 2018

What is an EU Pet Passport?

  • An EU Pet Passport is a document issued by an official veterinarian in an European Union (EU) Member State (country within the EU) or other designated country that contains official health information related to a specific pet.
    • An EU Pet Passport cannot be obtained in the U.S.
  • The purpose of the pet passport is to simplify travel between EU Member States, but the EU has also allowed it to be used for pets returning to the EU from other countries.

Who can enter information in an EU Pet Passport?

  • There are multiple sections of an EU Pet Passport. The EU Pet Passport identifies who can enter information into the various sections by type of veterinarian.
    • An “Authorized Veterinarian” specifically refers to an EU veterinarian.
    • A “Veterinarian” is any licensed veterinarian, including a U.S. veterinarian.
  • It is very important that a U.S. veterinarian does not enter information in any section designated Authorized Veterinarian, as this could lead to invalidation of the EU Pet Passport  and/or your animal being denied entry into the EU.

If your pet has an EU Pet Passport, what documents are needed to return to the EU?

  • If the rabies vaccination recorded in the EU Pet Passport is still valid and was recorded by an EU veterinarian, your pet will only need the EU Pet Passport to travel back to the EU.
  • If the rabies vaccination recorded in the EU Pet Passport has expired and your pet requires re-vaccination in the U.S. or was already re-vaccinated while in the U.S., you will need to obtain an EU Health Certificate issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian before your pet leaves the U.S. To view these requirements and obtain the correct health certificate, please click here to be taken back to the country selection page.  You will need to follow the steps for Dogs, Cats, and Ferrets that do not have an EU Pet Passport.

Does my pet require a clinical examination in the U.S. before returning to the EU?

    • Pets returning to the EU with a valid EU Pet Passport do NOT need a clinical examination
    • Depending on the EU Member State you are traveling to, your pet may need to be treated for tapeworm (echinococcus) 24-120 hours (1-5 days) prior to travel. This can be recorded in the EU Pet Passport by a U.S. veterinarian.


NOTE: Always check with the airlines to determine what additional requirements they may have for your pet to travel.